BREAKING NEWS! China Failing To Control Situation Despite Fake Figures. 14 Percent Of “Cured” Coronavirus Patients In Guangdong, China Tested Positive Again
China health authorities this morning released to the general media and WHO that it only had 52 new deaths and only 406 new coronavirus
infected cases bringing its death toll to only 2715 and the total number of infected cases to 78,064 while it claimed only 8,745 are in critical condition. (it did not add the number of new deaths and newly infected cases that are now amounting to in thousands that were discovered across nursing homes and aged homes all over the country in the last 48 hours!)
China also announced that it was removing restrictions in certain cities and provinces as it wants factories and businesses to resume operations as soon as possible.
More interesting is that while its state health officials had announced today that there is a total of 29,755 patients that had been treated and had recovered from the Covid-19 disease or are totally ‘cured’, a new story has emerged from its own health provincial offices in Guangdong province.
It was reported that about 14 per cent of patients who recovered from the novel coronavirus
and were discharged from hospitals in southern China's Guangdong province were tested positive again in later check-ups, according to the local health authority.
It must be noted that a positive test suggests the recovered patients may still carry the coronavirus
, adding complexity to efforts to control the outbreak.
Dr Song Tie, deputy director of the Guangdong Centre of Disease Control And Prevention (Guangdong CDC), at a Tuesday (Feb 25) briefing said, There is no clear conclusion on why it happens and whether such patients could still be infectious. According to the preliminary assessment, experts believed the patients are still recovering from lung infections and have yet to be fully healthy.”
China’s latest treatment guidelines for the Covid-19 issued by the National Health Commission stipulate that patients can be considered recovered and released from hospital when their throat or nose swabs show up negative in two consecutive tests, with a CT scan indicating no lung lesions, and when they have no obvious symptoms such as fever. However emergence of this new findings are causing a disarray and puzzlement among medical experts in China.
Though all these patients conformed to the guidelines that suggested recovered patients should monitor their health and limit outdoor activities for two weeks after leaving the hospital, and check in for retesting in following weeks, it was surprising to see them being tested positive again.
Director of the intensive care unit at Guangzhou No.8 People's Hospital, Dr Li Yueping, confirmed at the briefing that some patients' test results returned to positive in the follow-up checks.
It was disclosed that the No.8 People's Hospital has found 13 discharged patients that tested positive for the coronavirus
again, although none showed renewed symptoms, according to Li. Nucleic acid tests for 104 close contacts of the patients all found negative results, said Dr Li.
Dr Cai Weiping, director of the Infectious Diseases Division of the No.8 People's Hospital, said that the positive results in the recovered patients were all found from anal swabs, a method rarely used in other parts of the country.
However, national treatment guideline only requires tests from throat or nose swabs for suspected patients as the coronavirus
is believed to spread mainly via respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes.
Past research by Guangzhou Medical University found the virus in fecal samples, suggesting a new path of transmission. Some hospitals in Guangdong have since adopted the anal swab in virus tests.
Guangdong had so far reported 1,347 infections and 805 recoveries. The death toll reached seven, official data showed.
It was also noted that similar cases of recovered patients testing positive have been reported elsewhere in China. A patient initially discharged after recovering in southwestern Sichuan province's Chengdu city was readmitted after testing positive again in later check-ups.
It emerged that Health authorities in the southern island province of Hainan also confirmed that some recovered patients had tested positive again. The authorities required discharged patients to stay home under quarantine for 14 days, and allowed them to be released after both throat and anal swab tests showed negative.
More disturbingly, this morning, Hubei health officials also disclosed the same occurrence saying that it seeing up to 17% of recovered patients testing positive as they come in for follow up testing but did not release any data until today as they were investigating the anomaly.
China’s state officials refused comment on this occurrences being reported at its various provincial health departments.
For more on breaking developments on the coronavirus
, keep checking at Thailand Medical News